Thursday, March 20, 2008

VH-1e


OK, I’ll admit it: I’m not working my normal 14-hour day while down here. It’s more like nine or ten. Add the fact that I can get three draft beers a night after work and it feels like a freakin’ vacation. The large number of folks on R&R leave, dressed in civilian clothes almost makes me forget I’m stuck in the middle of the Qatari desert. Going back to Baghdad will suck.

Having marginally more time on my hands means I’m getting to watch a little more television, something I’m normally ambivalent about. But I’ve discovered VH-1 Europe which is pumped into the cable TV in my housing container. VH-1e plays a great set of music videos both old and new, wrapped around Turkish language Vodafone commercials and is blessedly devoid of anything resembling Reality TV programming. I forgot how compelling an all music video channel could be.

Last night, I watched ten Maroon 5 videos, part of VH-1e’s Top Ten series. I barely paid attention to this band on the radio but found they have a great set of songs that have been cleverly put to video. Here I thought the art of making a good music video had been lost. Not true. These guys have a great director who engagingly brings their songs to life. If I had a faster Internet connection, I’d buy some of their songs on iTunes.

Tonight, VH-1e was playing the Music Juke Box segment where people from throughout Europe submit playlists. If VH-1e likes the list, they play the videos and display the person’s name on the screen. A girl from Spain requested, “Rock Me Amadeus” by Falco and “More Than This” by Roxy Music. A US soldier from Afghanistan requested “Ace of Spades” by Motorhead and “God Save the Queen” by the Sex Pistols. Thrown into the mix was “Love Plus One” by Haircut 100 and “Some Day We’ll Know” by New Radicals (never heard of them but I love the song and the video).

Watching all this made me realize I’m painfully non-aware of new music. Helping me out, my sister recently sent me CDs of Katie Melua, Sara Bareilles, Colbie Caillat, and Charlotte Gainsbourg, all of which I really liked.

I know keep a notebook handy when VH-1e’s on to jot down the names of new music. Good stuff, old and new. Now if only VH-1 back in the states would re-adopt this format...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love Katie Melua's music (of course it helps that she's hot, imho).

Try 'Nouvelle Vague' as well - I have a feeling it's something you'd like.

Unknown said...

Caro Commendatore aka RICO

We enjoy reading your interesting articles...and most of all we admire how well you base your metaphores...IE: "The rowers in Ben Hur" and recently "Seeing the Elephant" Keep up the good work!!!!

Mr.& Mrs. OGRE