Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Heat

The iron grip of the Iraqi summer finally seems to have broken. Looking back, it was the day of that dreadful sand storm, the worst I experienced while in Iraq, that was the turning point. After that day, the daily highs dropped and hovered just above 100F. It was a palpable difference from the seemingly endless 120F days of high summer. Slowly, there were other signs: early morning and late evening weren't oppressively hot, the cold water tap wasn't hot anymore, I had to actually start using the hot water while taking a shower.

Last Sunday, when I returned from my TDY to Qatar, walking around BIAP and Camp Victory wasn't that uncomfortable, even while wearing body armor and lugging around my assault pack. I later found out the high for that day was actually below 100F.

This week, the highs have been been all below 100F. It's the first time we've enjoyed double-digit temperatures since spring, it seems. It feels wonderful. We've taken to eating lunch and dinner outside now and marvel in the simple pleasure of not sweating.

No comments: