Saturday, January 5, 2008

Vices




Most traditional vices, sex and alcohol being chief among them, are prohibited for those of us in the military under General Order 1 in a combat zone. Presumably, such activities would detract from the frosty concentration required to prosecute the war and otherwise taking the fight to the enemy. Not so, for the Department of State folks who can indulge in a public drink now and again although they are restricted from drinking while armed, which seem reasonable.

This leaves caffeine and tobacco as substances to enjoy and, ultimately, to abuse during our tour here. I certainly enjoy a good cup of coffee in the morning but my co-workers elevate coffee consumption to new acme. My metabolism, which still runs high despite being in my early forties, simply could not process the heroic amounts of coffee a typical staff officer consumes. Instead, I treat myself to a delicious double mocha every morning at the Green Beans Café, blessedly located in the Embassy. (Green Beans is a company that caters to deployed US and Coalition troops, setting up near Starbuck-levels of coffee and tea artistry in such remote places as Iraq, Afghanistan and the Horn of Africa. In my opinion, they should be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. In fact, stop reading this blog and buy an anonymous solider a Green Beans Coffee card. S/he will appreciate it.)

I don’t smoke cigarettes but do enjoy a good cigar now and then – more often now that I’m here. I have two co-workers in particular, an army major named Howey and a captain named Alan, who are regular cigar connoisseurs (in addition to being professional coffee drinkers). I inherited a nearly full box of Dominican Cohiba Churchills from the officer I replaced and have enjoyed a couple of them. Together with our vocally amusing English friend, Neil – who does smoke cigarettes – we often enjoy an after dinner smoke. According to flyers distributed throughout the Embassy, there is a Cigar Aficionado Club which meets at a day and time none of us can go to. Howey and Alan thus formed the nucleus of another group of cigar smokers, informally dubbed, “The Other Cigar Club” (OCG) which meets nearly every night around 2200 hours near the Embassy Pool Cabana. (This is the same cabana that has the fireplace mentioned in the New Year’s post below.) Some of the OCG members gather right after dinner and sit around the fire. What’s great about OCG is that one can meet people who are performing very different types of work in and around the Embassy – Department of State Foreign Service Officers (FSOs), other military, contractors, etc. On the times I’ve gone, I’ve had a grand time. The only drawback is that my uniform and fleece jacket tends to smell like cigars; it’s better than the burning trash smell though…

No comments: