Thursday, February 7, 2008

Angelina




So Angelina Jolie made a surprise visit to Iraq today. And no, I didn’t see her. In fact, I didn’t know she was here until I saw it on the TV in the gym this afternoon while running on a treadmill. The caption of her video read, “Jolie in Iraq.” I thought to myself, “Hey that looks like the Embassy.” And sure enough the news piece showed her walking into the main entrance to the Embassy.

Ms. Jolie was acting in her capacity as Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and came to Baghdad to raise awareness on the plight of almost 6.4 million Iraqi refugees who have been displaced as a result of the fighting here. Approximately 2 million fled to neighboring countries, mostly Syria and Jordan and another 2.2 million are internally displaced inside Iraq.

Recalling earlier in the day, I walked back from lunch quite near that area and saw a table in the hallway with food and snacks and bottled water. A female Air Force tech sergeant was standing nearby and peeking down the hall. Since there are often distinguished visitors in the Embassy, I didn’t think much of it. Now, of course, I realize I was walking by the meeting with Ms. Jolie.

One of my co-workers, who is involved in security matters, was lucky enough to get his picture with Ms. Jolie. I asked him for a copy to put on this blog but he demurred claiming that showing off like that would only make other guys mad that they didn’t get their photo with her. I suspect it has more to do with the fact he describes the photo as a fat guy with glasses standing next to a pretty lady. Some guys have all the luck.

2 comments:

FlipFlop Mom said...

This is pretty cool!!! she IS an amazing woman!! and beautiful too!! some girls have all the luck.. * wink wink*!!! I can't imagine ANY military man being FAT!!!I'm sure he was just fine!!

Dr said...

Dude I can't believe you didn't get your picture with my gal. Great blog by the way, just started checking it out, loved the vids from January too!

-word