Thursday, July 24, 2008

Appreciation Day

The conference is winding down. I had a lot of computer work after today's session. When I got back to the on-base hotel I started a load of laundry. I thought about going for a run (today was even cooler than yesterday) but I opted instead to get dinner on base at the cafeteria before it closed at 6pm. I had been getting a hot lunch there during the conference on the cheap (the average meal is less than $4) and figured it would be convenient with getting laundry done.

The cafeteria has two food serving areas separated by a salad bar. There are grills on either side. I usually do a reconnaissance of what's on the short order side but this time a Filipina waved me away, "Other side, sir," she said. Nonplussed, I went over to the hot meal side and got a selection of skirt steak, corn and rice. The cashier, a Filipino who was obviously gay, rang up my order. I asked why the other side was closed off. He said it was airman appreciation day. Recognizing me as being the in the navy from my lunch time visits, he smiled and added, "don't they have seaman appreciation day in the Navy?"

1 comment:

decrepitude said...

Eeeeuwwww.

- an Army guy