Friday, July 4, 2008

My Wife is a Rock Star

Let me tell you why my attractive wife is a rock star. She has a full time job and, for the past eight months, has been a single mother caring for our two year old son. Our son increasingly has been expressing his will, as two-year olds are wont to do and things have been challenging to say the least.

She wakes up in the morning and either takes him to our neighbors, who take him to Day Care, or takes him herself. She works a full day, then comes home and picks him up, playing with him, feeding him and putting him to bed only to start the cycle again the next morning. In addition, she is managing a two bathroom remodel of our house, working with our contractor, picking vanities, paint colors, faucet fixtures, and marble samples. When I call I can hear the stress in her voice but she continues to put her shoulder into the wheel and keeps going. She doesn’t get a brake.

Although we are blessed with good neighbors and friends who are helping, it’s my wife who ultimately takes on the entire share of keeping our lives at home moving forward. She is tough, smart, and I’m very proud of her. I wish I could do more, aside from offering lame words of encouragement transmitted via satellite. Although life and work remain challenging for me here in Baghdad, the real war is being fought by someone tougher than me on the home front.

2 comments:

JDA1214 said...

Now I feel like a tool. I am not that tough and I have all the comforts of home anyway so it's easier to be me than you. Love, Your Wife

Rico said...

You're not a tool, Sweetie; you're my hero. Love, your Husband.