Sunday, July 13, 2008

Rocks

As I type this, I’ve been stuck at Baghdad International Airpot (BIAP) for over 24 hours waiting to fly to Ali as Salem in Kuwait. I tried, unsuccessfully, to fly Space Available (standby) on four separate flights. I do have an actual reservation for later this afternoon but my scheduled arrival likely will not give me enough time to get SATO to give me a commercial ticket and fly out of Kuwait City International Airport (KCIA). Am impending dust storm here in Baghdad is only adding icing the cake; if it gets worse, I’ll be stuck here another day.

Being stuck here gave me another opportunity to visit Camp Stryker Stables, a transient area near BIAP. There is a bus that runs every hour between BIAP and the Stables. Yesterday afternoon, I took the bus over to the stables since there would a five hour delay between potential flights. The accommodations are well enough (air conditioned tents with cots and pillows). The problem is just getting to them. They are a long walk from where the bus drops you off and sit on large lots covered with small rocks. While the rocks keep the dust from blowing they are particularly annoying to walk on, especially if you are wearing body armor and lugging a suitcase.

I hate walking on rocks. Hate it hate it hate it. It’s like walking through wet sand only bigger and dryer. You have little traction and it seems you expending more energy to move forward. In many ways, it’s a metaphor for my entire experience here.

No comments: