Sunday, July 13, 2008

Gateway

Last May, I made the same trip here when I went on leave so I knew what to expect: a twenty minute bus ride to Gateway Station and in-processing. Upon arrival, our group was separated into those who were going on leave and those, like me, where going TDY. I checked with the Navy LNO and presented my orders. He looked at them and said they were issued by the army (MNF-I) and that I had to go to the army LNO desk. I presented the orders once again to an army sergeant who pronounced them valid and started making phone calls to SATO, the government travel agent. I had hoped to get ticketed on that evening’s midnight flight to Washington from Kuwait City International Airport (KCIA) but it was too late. In a way, I was relieved; I didn’t relish more travel at that point. I was assigned a VIP tent as rank actually means something down here in Kuwait. I grabbed dinner and a much needed shower. I slept well.

The next morning, I checked in with the Army LNO who said I had an approved travel itinerary. I picked it up, got it stamped and had a lot of time to kill before my late afternoon bus to KCIA. I went to the MWR tent where I typed up the last few blog entries. Unfortunately, a loud movie was playing projected onto a very large screen. Between the size of the screen and volume it was impossible not to be aware of it.

(The movie was called “The Ruins” and was a variant of the teen age horror flick genre involving two young couples vacationing in Mexico who visit a remote Mayan pyramid. They are tormented and slowly killed by some kind of semi-intelligent carnivorous plant which covers the entire pyramid. If someone ever says, “Hey, let’s watch ‘The Ruins’, run, don’t walk away. I think I actually lost a few IQ points watching it while I typed.)

1 comment:

Suzy Peluda said...

You know...Dad and I READ the book!!! We LOVED it! I read it (and you will laugh because you KNOW I don't have time to read) over three days - it was nearly 1000 pages at that - and I passed it onto dad to read. He loved it as well. We plan on watching it together. Perhaps you'd should read the book then the THREE of us can watch it TOGETHER!! Seriously bro, you'd enjoy the read and I don't doubt the movie sucked.