Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Perfect Weather

The first week here at Scott AFB was very hot. Not as hot as Baghdad, or generally as crappy, but pretty damn hot and humid. Parts of the conference I'm attending are held in different buildings on base with a five minute walk in between. Just walking around last week resulted in a pretty good sweat.

Two nights ago, I awoke to the sound of thunder and the occasional flash bulb of lightening. The thunder was LOUD. Growing up in California, I didn't see much of thunderstorms and I remain fascinated by them. Although half asleep I found myself counting, "one one thousand, two one thousand..." and so on to gauge how far away the lightening was.

In the wake of the storm, the temperature cooled. Today, it was positively wonderful with highs in the mid-70s F. Colbalt blue skies with no clouds. A gentle wind embraced everything. In fact, it was the best weather I've experienced since, well, last year before I left on deployment. I was rejuvenated.

No comments: